You might think that the use of a headset on a computer is as easy as connecting it. And sometimes, it’s when you know what kind of socket and plug you’re dealing with. But what happens when you work with a headset with 2 plugs and a laptop with a single jack, or vice versa?
How to connect a headset microphone to a single-port device? All of this is very confusing. So, to save you from this issue, we have compiled a quick guide to help you make the most of your headset. Despite the number of ports or plugs you deal with, or you are using new and old equipment models.
- 1. Connect the plug of your headphones to the output port marked by the headphone symbol. The plug of the microphone can then be connected to the audio input port marked by the microphone symbol. So, you are done! Plug again the adapter into your laptop’s audio jack.
- 2. The adapter can be used to connect active microphones and speakers directly to a laptop. Plug your microphone into the input port marked with the microphone symbol.
- 3. Next, connect your powered speakers to the audio-out port marked with the headphones symbol.
- 4. Finally, connect the adapter to the audio jack of the laptop.
- 5. You can put the adapter with the tablet or put it in a protective case. It is compatible with tablets and smartphones with a single audio port. Connect your microphone and device to the adapter, and you can start talking.
Just A Reminder: This adapter cannot be used as a headset Y-cable or splitter. This adapter cannot be used to split audio output between two sets of headphones or speakers.
Specific external microphones cannot be used on certain mobile devices and laptops. This is usually due to an impedance mismatch between the microphone and the device. This is due to hardware incompatibility rather than adapter limitations.
The Advantages of Using a Headphone and the Microphone Combo Jack
A 3.5mm combo headphone or microphone port can be transformed into two separate ports: one 3.5mm jack and one 3.5mm mic port.
- This adapter is compact and robust, making it excellent for mobile applications.
- You do not need headphones to play games or do your job.
- Stay in touch with your loved ones anytime, anywhere
- Allows you to use older audio accessories on newer computers.
The Sound Quality
Excellent audio quality is one of the central reasons wired headphones with microphones should actually be used. The combo jack connects to wired headphones for a higher audio quality than standard dual jack input.
Reduce the wires on the PC
These two jacks are traditional plugs and require you to connect the microphone cable to the microphone input and the cable to the headphone input. Sometimes this can be very frustrating.
One jack can be used to reduce the number of cables connected to the computer.
TRRS, TRS, and TS
The ‘T’ stands for ‘tip,’ the ‘R’ for ‘ring’ and the ‘S’ for ‘sleeve.’
These letters apply to the different connector standards or plugs that convey audio signals between devices. They are at the end of every single pair of earphones or headphones you have ever owned and the wires that you plug toward your laptops, speakers, phone when you want to listen to something.
There are actually three kinds of jacks available: TRS, TRS, and TRRS. The TS port does not support stereo sound and a microphone. So, meaning that TS only sustains the mono sound. Both headphones can re-create the same sound.
A TRS connector also does not support microphone sound but can keep stereo sound well. This means that you can actually hear other players but cannot chat with them. Traditional gaming headsets provide two independent TRS connectors. One is for microphones, and the other is for headphones. If there is no microphone jack, you can connect it. The TRRS connector supports headphones and microphones. This connector is the most common and allows you to chat with other players.
The only connectors are those that connect newer MP3 players, laptops, and smartphones. The TRRS connector not only plugs into a connector on the computer, but it is also backward compatible and can be used with laptops. The best headset is a wired headset with a microphone. They balance the voice of your game with their voice chat and are made with utmost convenience.
Why is it good to know this?
Understanding the differences and functions between the TS, TRS, and TRRS plugs is a step to understand their cooperating effects with other types of plugs. The majority of us may think that all audio jacks are the same, and you can use any audio jack with any jack. However, doing so will affect the sound quality and may damage your device.
Here are some compatibility guidelines for TRRS, TRS, TS plugs:
- Replace TS with TRS: If you try to use balanced TRS plugs for unbalanced signal input and output, you will still get unbalanced signals as a result.
- Use TRRS instead of TRS – You can usually use a TRRS plug instead of a TRS plug, but since the TRS plug does not have an additional loop, this connection will only hold the audio signal and not the microphone.
- Use TS instead of TRS: It is not recommended to use a TS cable in the TRS jack because the audio channel usually associated with the additional ringing on the TRS jack will be grounded. Therefore, you will lose an audio channel and reduce audio output because the TS connector does not support stereo like the TRS connector.
It’s good to know that if you have headphone-related audio problems, there are a number of ways to solve them. Whether it’s adjusting a few settings on the computer or just buying an adapter to handle the problem conveniently, we hope our guide can help you solve the problem and minimize inconvenience and frustration.
Do you have your tricks and tips you would like to share on the topic? Or do you think we missed out on some important ones? I would appreciate to hear your thoughts, so feel free to sound off in the comments.
Leave a Reply